Financial Aid FAQs - Missouri Baptist University

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question we didn’t answer here? Please let us know.

How do I…

Apply for Financial Aid?

Start the financial aid process by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You will also need to complete your application for admission to MBU.

File the FAFSA?

The easiest and fastest way to do this is online. Create an FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID) in order to sign the FAFSA electronically by visiting  If you are a dependent student, your parent will need to create an FSA ID as well.

Also see, “What is needed to complete the FAFSA?” (below)

Apply for a student loan?

You apply for federal student loans by filing the FAFSA. Once your eligibility is confirmed, you must complete two additional documents on

You’ll be reminded about the federal loans you’ve borrowed with a required Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment.

Alternative loan options, sometimes referred to as private loans, can supplement the other forms of aid a student generally receives. While we cannot suggest a specific lender to a student, we do maintain a historical list of loan companies that our students have used in recent years. Our lender list can be accessed through the following link: MBU Alternative Lenders

You can also find more information about loans, and step-by-step instructions on how to complete your loan documents.

Apply for a federal parent loan?

You would only be applying for this loan if you are the parent of a dependent student. If that is the case, and you want to apply for additional funds to be applied to your student’s account through the Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan program, sign into the federal student loans website with your own FSA ID, and look for the Parent PLUS Loan request.

Here are step-by-step instructions on how to complete the request and electronically sign the Loan Agreement.

Decide how much I should borrow?

Some things to keep in mind when you are deciding how much student loan funds to use:

  • The cost of living where you plan to attend school
  • The price of the school you plan to attend
  • The amount of other financial aid you for which you are eligible
  • Your expected graduation date and your future borrowing needs to get you through to graduation
  • The limits on borrowing established by the federal government
  • The loan origination fee charged by the government before they send the funds to the school

Keep track of my student loans?

You can use the new Aid Summary feature provided by the Department of Ed to view your federal student loans and also your federal grants by signing in with your FSA ID at

You will also be reminded of your borrowing when you complete Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment.

Find out more about debt relief of my student loans?

You can sign up here U.S. Department of Ed Subscriptions to receive updates about the Department of Ed’s plans to implement the President’s directive.

Here is a quick “Frequently Asked Questions” page about the One-Time Student Loan Debt Relief.

And here is more general information about the government’s different loan forgiveness programs: Student Loan Forgiveess.

Find out more about financial aid?

You can view multiple topics related to financial aid at

We also list additional helpful information and required disclosures on our Consumer Information page.

What is…


The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the form the federal government uses to determine your eligibility for financial assistance. Types of aid determined by the FAFSA include grants, work study, scholarships and loans.

Needed to complete the FAFSA?

You will need to first create a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) and your parent will need one, too, if you are a dependent student. The FSA ID is your electronic signature to sign your FAFSA and student loan documents, and is also how you sign into federal student aid websites that keeps your personal information secure.

You may also need:

  • Your Social Security Number (can be found on your Social Security card)
  • Your driver’s license (if any)
  • W-2 Forms from two years prior and other records of any money earned
  • Your (and/or your parents’) Federal Income Tax Return from two years prior — IRS Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, foreign tax return, or tax return from Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated State of Micronesia
  • Any untaxed income records for two years prior — e.g., payments to tax
    deferred pension and savings plans, tax exempt interest and child support
    received in the tax year needed for the FAFSA
  • Records of taxable earnings from Federal Work-Study or other need-based work
  • Records of any grants, scholarships, and fellowship aid that was included in your or your parents’ adjusted gross income (AGI)
  • Any current bank statements
  • Any current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm
    records, stock, bonds and other investment records
  • Documentation that you are a U.S. permanent resident or other eligible noncitizen, if applicable

Missouri Baptist’s school code for the FAFSA?

Missouri Baptist University’s FAFSA code is 007540.

The difference between subsidized & unsubsidized loans?

The Federal Direct Subsidized Loan is interest-free to the student at the following times:

  • While he or she is in school (at least half-time)
  • During the period the loan is in grace
  • During periods of deferment

The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan starts to accrue interest after the first disbursement is made and continues to accrue interest during the life of the loan. You have the option to pay the loan while in school, but are not required to make any interest payments while in school. Any unpaid interest will be capitalized, or added to the principal loan balance, when repayment starts.

Why do I…

Have to complete a FAFSA verification?

The federal Department of Education selects up to half of all FAFSA submissions for a review called Verification. The simply means they are requiring the schools you listed on your FAFSA to confirm the information you entered on the form. Therefore, we may have to ask for information and documentation from you and your parent(s) – if you are dependent student – such as statements and copies of tax returns. This is NOT a tax audit, and it doesn’t mean you did anything wrong. If we find that anything needs to be updated, we will simply make, or in some cases ask you to make, any needed corrections.


Needs to complete the FAFSA?

All incoming college students should submit the FAFSA. At MBU, we request that you file a FAFSA so that we know you want (or need) financial assistance (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.). It is the initial application for institutional aid, state and federal grants and federal work study, and is the prerequisite for federal student loans.

Do I contact for more information?

You can contact our office at (314) 392-2366 or by emailing us at If you have specific questions about your financial aid, you can also contact your Financial Aid Counselor.


Do I file the FAFSA?

The FAFSA historically becomes available every year on October 1. However, the 2024-2025 FAFSA will become available on December 1st since the format will be changing. The priority deadline, or the date that the FAFSA must be completed to be considered for all Missouri state grants, is February 1.