Missouri Baptist University uses Canvas by Instructure for its online courses. The following hardware, software and computer settings are the minimum specifications to work with the application. Canvas by Instructure is designed for maximum compatibility and minimal requirements.
To check if your browser meets minimum specifications, visit Instructure’s Browser Check page.
Studio is best viewed at a minimum resolution of 800×600.
- Windows 8.1 and newer
- Mac OSX 10.6 and newer
- Linux – Chrome OS
- Chromebook – Chrome OS
Computer Speed and Processing
- Use a computer 5 years old or newer when possible
- 1GB of RAM
- 2GHz processor
- Along with compatibility and web standards, Studio has been carefully crafted to accommodate low bandwidth environments
- Minimum of 512kbps
- Macintosh: VoiceOver (latest version for Safari)
- PC: JAWS (latest version for Firefox; we currently do not support the Edge browser for accessibility)
- PC: NVDA (latest version for Firefox)
- There is no screen reader support for Studio in Chrome
Learn more about supported accessibility in Studio.
Canvas supports the current and first previous major releases of the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (supporting the latest system requirements)
- Safari (Macintosh only)
You should always use the most current version of your preferred browser. Your browser will notify you if there is a new version available. Visit this Canvas help page for the list of currently supported browser versions: Current Supported Browsers
LockDown Browser by Respondus
Some courses require assessments to be taken within Respondus Lockdown Browser. Instructions for downloading this browser are available in the applicable Canvas course.
Note: Studio webcam capture is only supported by Chrome and Firefox browsers.
The Studio user interface inherits the browser’s set language. [/content-collapse]
Studio on Mobile Devices
The Studio interface is optimized for desktop displays and is not officially supported on mobile browsers.
Visit the Apple store or the Play store to download mobile browsers. The following major browsers are compatible with mobile devices. Canvas offers limited support for mobile browsers.
Note: Android default browser varies per mobile device.
Canvas Mobile App Support
- iOS 13.0 and newer (versions vary by device)
- Android 6.0 and newer
Supported Video Formats
Studio supports H.264 video playback.
Studio will accept the following video files for playback:
- flv – Flash Video
- asf – Windows Media
- qt – Apple QuickTime
- mov – Apple QuickTime
- mpg – Digital Video Format
- mpeg – Digital Video Format
- avi – Digital Video Format
- m4v – Digital Video Format
- wmv – Windows Media
- mp4 – Digital Video Format
- 3gp – Multimedia Mobile Format
Supported Audio Formats
Studio will accept the following audio files for playback:
- mp3 – Digital Audio Format
- wma – Windows Media Audio
- wav – Waveform Audio File Format
Last updated: 10/13/2023