Immigration Information for Newly Admitted Students - Missouri Baptist University

Immigration Information for Newly Admitted Students

F-1 Student Visa – Form I-20 Information: The F-1 is the most common student visa. Students must have a valid, educational purpose for coming to the United States and provide proof of their ability to fund their education in order to be admitted.  Upon admission to an MBU degree program, students receive a Form  I-20 which is used to obtain an F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their country. The spouse or children of an F-1 student may enter the U.S. on an F-2 dependent visa and are not eligible to attend university full-time or work in the US.

Transferring F-1 status from another U.S. Institution: F-1 students who are already attending a U.S. institution may transfer their immigration status to MBU upon acceptance is they have continuously maintained immigration status while in the U.S..  Students must enroll in courses at MBU within 5 months of the last date of attendance at the previous school or the end-date of OPT. They must ask their current college or university to transfer the SEVIS record to MBU. Students must also submit the Transfer Eligibility Form to the international services office at their current school.  The Office of International Experiences must receive the completed Transfer Eligibility Form and the SEVIS record in order to issue an MBU I-20.

Change to F-1 from another non-immigrant visa type: Students who are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa other than F-1 may choose to change their status to F-1 prior to beginning their studies at MBU.  This may be accomplished either by traveling outside the U.S. or by applying to USCIS for a change of status while remaining in the U.S.  Students must be accepted to MBU and receive a Form I-20 from International Experiences.   Students applying for a change of status with USCIS should consider consulting an immigration attorney to ensure compliance with all immigration regulations.

Other Visa Status Information (Non F-1 Visa Holders): Students who do not hold an F-1 visa may study at MBU if their current visa status permits study in a degree seeking program. Please note that individuals in F-2 status cannot study full-time and B1/B2 (visitor) status are prohibited from taking classes.   For information about non-immigrant visas go to U.S. Department of State website.

Getting Your Non-Immigrant Visa & Entering the U.S.: Approximately two weeks from the time that a student is admitted to MBU, an acceptance packet will be sent to the student.  This packet will include the student’s Form I-20 and important information to help plan their transition to the U.S..  Upon receipt of the Form I-20 the student should pay the I-901 SEVIS fee required for all student visa applications, schedule a visa appointment, and download the visa application forms.  (NOTE: Citizens of Canada are not required to apply for a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate).  The student should take their I-20, passport, admission letter, and proof of financial support (e.g., award letter, bank statement, etc.). If you have further questions, please contact our office.