Immigration Information for Newly Admitted Students

Most international students come to Missouri Baptist University on an F-1 student visa. To apply for this visa type, students need eligibility documents such as an I-20 for F-1 visas from MBU.

F-1 Student Visa – I-20 Information: The F-1 is the most common student visa. Students must have a valid, educational purpose for coming to the United States, be a full-time student, and provide proof of their ability to fund their education.  Upon admission to an MBU program, students receive an I-20 which is used to obtain an F-1 visa at a US Embassy or Consulate in their country. The spouse or children of an F-1 student may enter the US on an F-2 dependent visa and are not eligible to attend university full-time or work in the US.

Transferring F-1 status from another US Institution: F-1 students who are already attending a US school may transfer their immigration status to MBU, if they are admitted into an MBU program, and have continuously maintained immigration status while in the US.   Students must enroll in courses at MBU within 5 months of the last date of attendance at the previous school or the end date of OPT. They must ask their current college or university to transfer the SEVIS record to MBU. Students must also submit the Transfer Clearance Form to the international student office at their current school.   International Student Services must receive the completed Transfer Clearance form and the SEVIS record to issue an MBU I-20.

Change to F-1 from another non-immigrant visa: Students who are in the US using a non-immigrant visa other than F-1 may choose to change their status to F-1 prior to beginning their MBU academic program. This may be accomplished either by traveling outside the U.S. or by applying to USCIS for a change of status.   Students who decide to travel to obtain their F-1 must receive an I-20 from International Services.   Students who apply for a change of status should make an appointment to meet with an International Services advisor to discuss the procedures.

Other Visa Status Information (Non F-1 Visa Holders): Students who do not hold an F-1 (student) visa status may study at MBU if their current visa status permits study in a degree seeking program. Please note that individuals in F-2 status cannot study full-time and B1/B2 (visitor) status are prohibited from taking classes.   For information about non-immigrant visas go to U.S. Department of State website.

Getting Your Non-Immigrant Visa & Entering the U.S.: Approximately two weeks from the time that a student is admitted to MBU, a New Student Packet will be sent to the student.  This packet will include the student’s I-20 and important information to help plan their transition to the U.S..   Upon receipt of the I-20 or DS-2019, the student should pay the SEVIS I-901 fee required for all student visa applications, schedule a visa appointment, and download the visa application forms.  (NOTE: Citizens of Canada are not required to apply for an entry visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate).  The student should take their I-20 or DS-2019, passport, admission letter, and financial support documentation (e.g., award letter, bank statement, etc.). If you have further questions, please contact our office.