Immigration Information


As an F-1 visa holder, you must meet certain obligations to maintain your immigration status. The information below addresses each of these requirements.  However, for more complete information, please contact the Office of International Student Services (pop up e-mail to  The Study in the States ( website has additional resources that will help you better understand your rights and responsibilities.

Reduced Course Load

You may not drop or add any courses without first receiving permission from International Student Services on the MBU Schedule Adjustment form.  If dropping a course will result in less than 12 credit hours for undergraduate students or less than 6 hours for graduate students, then please make an appointment with the Director of International Student Services to discuss whether you may be approved to drop below full-time.

Address Updates

Update your local address through MyMBU Access within 10 days of any change of local address.  This address must always be the physical address where you live.


If you will travel outside the United States during your program, you should bring your I-20 to our office to request a travel signature using the SEVIS Update Request Form, which can now be found on the International Student Services MyMBU Life page.  Make sure that you are academically eligible to return to study at MBU and that your visa is valid to re-enter the U.S. If you would like to renew your visa while outside of the U.S., please see Checklist for New Visa  for additional information.

If your visa has expired, you may still be able to re-enter the U.S. after a visit of less than 30 days to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands. Refer to the Travel Outside the United States to Contiguous Territories or Adjacent Islands Handout for more information.

Program Extensions

If you will not complete your academic program before the end date of your I-20 you will need to complete a Program Extension form. Valid reasons for extensions include change of major and loss of credits transferred to Missouri Baptist University.

Valid Passport & Visa

Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times. Do not let your passport expire. Your visa must be valid at the time you enter the US. If your visa in your passport expires while you are here, you may remain in the US with an expired visa. However, the next time you exit the United States prior to re-entry, you will need to apply for a new F-1 student visa at a U.S. Embassy in your home country.


F-1 students are eligible to work on campus. You may work part time (20 hours per week or less) during the Fall and Spring semesters.  During authorized breaks, you may choose to work more hours.  Do not engage in any unauthorized off-campus employment; see Curricular Practical Training and/or Optional Practical Training.

University Obligations

Pay your tuition by the start of the semester to ensure continuous enrollment.  For questions regarding payments or a payment schedule, please contact Nancy Funke:

I-20 Changes

Keep I-20 valid at all times by notifying International Student Services of any changes to your name, country of citizenship, or sources of funding.


Enroll full-time during Fall and Spring Semesters:

  • 12 credit hours for undergraduates (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)
  • 6 credit hours for graduate students (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)

Enroll in only 3 credit hours of on-line courses to count toward your full time requirement during Fall and Spring Semesters.