A SSN is given to temporary working residents for taxation purposes. All people working in the US must have one and file taxes.
HOW DO I GET A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER?
- Find a job.
- Get a job offer letter from your employer.
- Bring the letter to ISS, we will then write you an enrollment verification letter.
- Apply at a local social security office.
Your SSN card will be mailed to you in about 2-3 weeks. It takes longer if …
- You applied less than 10 days after entering the US
- You are selected for a security check
- Your I-94 information doesn’t match your I-20
WHAT DO I TAKE TO THE SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE?
- Job offer letter from an on-campus job
- ISS enrollment verification letter.
- SSN application form (provided by ISS)