Frequently Asked Questions


How do I get a Social Security Number?

Only International Students who have been granted employment authorization and have a job may apply to get a Social Security number.  Here are the steps for applying.

  • First: Request a Social Security letter from the Office of International Student Services. You must have a job offer letter from your employer to request this.
  • Second: Apply at a local social security office. The Office of International Student Services will give you a list of items you need to take with you to the Social Security Office and a map.

What kinds of letters can I request and how quickly can I get them?

What kinds of letters can I request and how quickly can I get them?
All document requests take three business days to complete, unless you come to our office during walk-in hours.  Letters that you may request include: General Enrollment Verification, Status Verification for Social Security and for obtaining a Driver’s License and Letters of Invitation.

How do I get OPT?

To apply for OPT (Optional Practical Training) all F-1 students must attend a mandatory OPT workshop.  More information on the OPT process can be found on the International Student Employment page.

When can I meet with an Adviser?

Immigration advising appointments are available on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Friday mornings.  Appointments can be scheduled by calling 314-744-5301.  Walk-in hours are also available on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

What do I need to do before I travel?

  • Your I-20 must be signed by International Student Services before you travel outside the USA.
  • Check that both your F-1 visa and your passport are still valid.  If you travel to another country, check to see if they require a visa.

How can I get involved on campus?

Student Activities and Campus Ministries have many different opportunities for you to get involved. Check out their websites for all the ways that you can be a part of campus life.

Where do I get information regarding my health insurance plan?

Where do I get information regarding my health insurance plan?
The Lewermark website has policy information and a place to look for physicians which are part of the approved network of doctors.  Go to

Where do I get my insurance card?

Your insurance card can be downloaded from our dedicated Lewermark site:

Can I work off-campus?

There are a few options for F-1 students to work off-campus legally, such as OPT and CPT. For additional information, please visit our International Student Employment page.

Unauthorized off-campus employment is considered illegal employment.  Students who participate in unauthorized employment of any kind are subject to the termination of their F-1 visa status.

Where can I find on-campus employment?

Where can I find on-campus employment?
To find on-campus employment, students are encouraged to check with individual departments or offices.  Some of the most common places that students look for employment include:

  • The Library
  • Campus Services
  • Grounds Department
  • The Perk

For assistance with developing your resume or job interviewing skills, please contact Career Services.