As an F-1 visa holder, you must meet certain obligations to maintain your immigration status.  For additional details, please contact the Office of International Student Services (


You must be enrolled full-time during Fall and Spring semesters:

  • Undergraduates: 12 credit hours (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)
  •  Graduates: 6 credit hours (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)

Only 3 credit hours of online courses may count toward your full-time enrollment requirement during Fall and Spring Semesters.

Reduced Course Load
You may not drop or add any courses without first receiving permission from International Student Services using the MBU Schedule Adjustment form.  If dropping a course will result in less than 12 credit hours for undergraduate students or less than 6 hours for graduate students, then please make an appointment with the Director of International Student Services to discuss whether you may be approved to drop below full-time.

Address Updates
Update your local address in MyMBU Access within 10 days of any change of local address.  This address must always be the physical address where you live.

Valid Passport & Visa
Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times. Do not let your passport expire. Your visa must be valid at the time you enter the US. However, it can expire while you are here and you may remain in the US with an expired visa.

I-20 Changes
Keep I-20 valid at all times by notifying International Student Services of any changes to your name, country of citizenship, or sources of funding.

If you travel outside the United States during your program, you should bring your I-20 to our office to get a travel signature.  Make sure that you are academically eligible to return to study at MBU and that your visa is valid to re-enter the U.S.

Renewing your Visa
If you would like to renew your visa while outside of the U.S., come by our office for additional information on what the requirements are.

If your visa has expired, you may still be able to re-enter the U.S. after a visit of fewer than 30 days to Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands. Refer to this link for further information.

Program Extensions
If you will not complete your academic program before the end date of your I-20 you will need to talk to the Director of International Student Services. Valid reasons for extensions include a change of major and loss of credits transferred to Missouri Baptist University

F-1 students are eligible to work on campus. However, the position can only be hourly or funded by institutional aide. The job cannot be work study. You may work part-time (20 hours per week or less) during the Fall and Spring semesters.  During authorized breaks, you may choose to work more hours.  Do not engage in any unauthorized off-campus employment.

University Obligations
You must pay your tuition by the start of the semester to ensure continuous enrollment.  For questions regarding payments or a payment schedule, please contact Auburn Ard:

The Study in the States website has additional resources that will help you better understand your rights and responsibilities.