As an F-1 visa holder, you must meet certain obligations to maintain your immigration status.  For additional details, please contact the Office of International Experiences (international@mobap.edu).


You must be enrolled full-time during Fall and Spring semesters:

  • Undergraduates: 12 credit hours (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)
  •  Graduates: 6 credit hours (This is the minimum number of hours for which you should enroll)

Only 3 credit hours of online courses may count toward your full-time enrollment requirement during Fall and Spring Semesters.

Reduced Course Load
You may not drop or add any courses without first receiving permission from the Office of International Experiences using the MBU Schedule Adjustment form.  If dropping a course will result in less than 12 credit hours for undergraduate students, or less than 6 hours for graduate students, please make an appointment with the Director of International Experiences to discuss whether you may be approved to drop below full-time.

Address Updates
Update your local address in MyMBU Access within 10 days of any change of local address.  This address must always be the physical address where you live.

Valid Passport & Visa
Keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future at all times. Do not let your passport expire. Your visa must be valid at the time you enter the U.S.. However, it can expire while you are here if you maintain immigration status with a valid Form I-20.

I-20 Changes
Keep your Form I-20 valid at all times by notifying International Experiences of any changes in major, program length, or personal contact information (address, phone, email, etc.).

If you travel outside the U.S. during your program, you should bring your Form I-20 to our office to get a travel endorsement (page 2 of the I-20).  Make sure that you are academically eligible to return to study at MBU and that your visa is valid to re-enter the U.S.

Renewing your Visa
If you would like to renew your visa while outside of the U.S., come by our office for additional information on what the requirements are.

Program Extensions
If you will not complete your academic program before the end date of your Form I-20 you will need to talk to the Director of International Experiences. Valid reasons for extensions include a change of major and loss of credits transferred to Missouri Baptist University

F-1 students are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session. When school is not in session, students may be able to work additional hours. The position must be an hourly position or funded by institutional aid. F-1 students cannot work in a Federal Work Study position. Do not engage in any unauthorized off-campus employment.

University Obligations
You must pay your tuition by the start of the semester to ensure continuous enrollment.  For questions regarding payments or a payment schedule, please contact Auburn Ard: auburn.ard@mobap.edu.

This page is a brief outline of some F-1 responsibilities. It is the student’s responsibility to maintain immigration status. The Study in the States website and your New International Student Canvas shell have additional resources that will help you better understand your rights and responsibilities.