Title: Student Success Advisor (Part-Time) June-2019
Area: Academic Success Center (ASC)
I. Basic Function
Under the supervision of the Director of the Student Success, the Student Success Advisor serves as an initial point of academic and personal support for students enrolled at Missouri Baptist University. Assigned students may include first time freshman, Quest students, first time transfer students, and/or students presenting with complex needs. Advisement topics may include study skills, time management, life skills, major choice, career choice, class scheduling, personal concerns, campus life and opportunities.
II. Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Within the limits of University policies, procedures, and programs, this employee is responsible to accomplish the duties as follows:
- Advise students on academic processes and procedures including scheduling classes.
- Advise students on study and time management skills.
- Assess students’ complex needs and make appropriate referrals.
- Welcome all visitors to the Academic Success Center with a professional and friendly demeanor.
- Work front desk when needed, answering the phone, scheduling tests, and writing lab appointments.
- Supervise Academic Success Center students, student staff and tutors. Tutor as needed.
- Create current materials that will help students learn and develop study skills.
- Become knowledgeable about the various learning styles in order to educate student tutors and assist students.
- Collaborate with the Director of Student Success for reporting projects.
- Schedule and proctor departmental challenge tests, DSST examinations, and other university exams to MBU students.
- Assist in classroom testing and assessments as needed in cooperation with the Coordinator of Assessment & Success Initiatives.
- Effectively manage data collection for analysis and future reporting needs, using the online scheduling system or any other tracking system that is being utilized.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Student Success.
- The Data Coordinator/Student Success Advisor will observe the following relationships:
- The Data Coordinator/Student Success Advisor is accountable to the Director of Student Success for the fulfillment of his/her role, general responsibility, authority and relationships.
- The Data Coordinator/Student Success Advisor will work closely with the Director of Student Success, Coordinator of Assessment & Success Initiatives, and Student Success Advisor/Special Needs Coordinators in addition to other ASC staff. It is essential that he/she maintain an open line of communication with all members of the ASC staff.
- It is also essential that he/she maintain an open and mutually cooperative relationship with other offices on campus including faculty members and extension sites.
IV. Minimum Requirements and Qualifications
- Statement of Christian faith
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred
- Must demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to work effectively with students, parents, university staff, and academic departments in a mature and professional manner
- Must be able to responsibly handle confidential information
- Must possess computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Previous customer service experience is a plus
- Familiarity with CAMS and online calendaring recommended but not required
V. Personal Qualities Sought
- A positive attitude and team-player mindset
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Personal and professional integrity
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving, and reasoning skills
- Ability to respond calmly in high-stress situations
- Self-motivated and organized
- Dependable and reliable
VI. Performance and Evaluation
An annual performance evaluation will be conducted by the Director of Student Success. The Proctor’s overall performance will be assessed per the job description, strengths and weaknesses will be reviewed, and future goals and objectives will be discussed.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and statement of faith to Amy.Goodberlet@mobap.edu.