(Part-time 29 hrs./week position)
I. Basic Function
Incorporating emerging technology, this position supports and enhances user access to resources and information. This position is also responsible for obtaining library resources not available at Missouri Baptist University through Interlibrary Loan services. Utilizes a variety of online, bibliographic databases (i.e. EBSCOhost, Nexis Uni, etc.), OCLC Worldshare Interlibrary Loan, and ArticleReach to process and monitor interlibrary loan requests to and from Jung-Kellogg Learning Center. This is a part-time, 29 hours/week position under the general direction of the Director of Library Services.
II. Responsibilities and Authority
Within the limits of authorized university policies, procedures, programs and budgets, the Information Services Assistant is responsible for and has authority to accomplish the following duties:
• Support user access to information by providing circulation and reference services in person, by phone, or through email.
• Provide support to faculty and students by teaching library instruction in classroom setting as needed, and provide supplemental support through creation and maintenance of research guides, tutorials, handouts, etc.
• Process and monitor article requests from MBU students, faculty and staff to obtain research materials from lending institutions throughout the U.S. and internationally.
• Employ software to view, compile, and report ILL borrowing and lending statistics. Monitor compliance with copyright regulations.
• Perform tasks associated with the ILS (charge/discharge and renew materials, create holds and recalls, change item statuses).
• Expected to understand the transformation of delivery of library services through new technologies.
• Assist patrons with questions concerning submission, verification, retrieval, and delivery of interlibrary loan requests and materials.
• Maintain stacks and general physical space of the library.
• Commit to learning and deploying technologies as they emerge.
• Primarily work evenings, but be available for daytime and weekends as necessary.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The Information Services Assistant reports to the Director of Library Services for the interpretation and execution of responsibilities.
IV. Performance Measurement Criteria
An annual performance review will be conducted by the Director of Library Services, including an assessment of the performance of all tasks related to the position based on a review of the job description and recent performance.
V. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience
• Completion of a bachelor’s degree and related public service experience, or previous library experience with at least one (1) year of automated library system, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
• Demonstrate an expertise with advanced computer skills, electronic information resources, integrated library systems, and search systems.
• Knowledge of ILS (Sierra) and information technology as pertains to learning center policies and procedures.
• Ability to quickly learn technical procedures using documentation, training, and customer service support and provide understandable interpretations of procedures and policies.
• Commitment to customer service, with a successful track record of working with diverse student populations in a positive manner.
• Ability to interact in a professional and respectful manner with library co-workers, MBU faculty, staff, and students.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills
• Ability to resolve public concerns and difficulties related to the ILS with tact, courtesy, and good judgement.
• Provide excellent customer service to patrons.
• Must have personal testimony of faith in Jesus Christ. Must be a member of and participate in an evangelical Christian church.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and statement of faith via email to Rebekah McKinney (Rebekah.McKinney@mobap.edu).