The Jung-Kellogg Library is seeking a part-time Circulation Assistant. This position is responsible for performing circulation and clerical duties; explaining library policies and procedures; assisting patrons in locating books and information; shelving library materials; processing incoming materials and outgoing requests from other libraries; and processing interlibrary loan requests. Evening hours are required.
Please see the full job description below. Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and statement of faith to Rebekah McKinney, Acting Director of Library Services, at Rebekah.McKinney@mobap.edu.
I. Basic Function
Under the general direction of the Director of Library Services, this position works to provide circulation and clerical duties. Additionally, this position works to obtain library resources not available at Missouri Baptist University. Utilizes a variety of online, bibliographic databases, OCLC Worldshare Interlibrary Loan, and ArticleReach to process and monitor interlibrary loan requests to and from Jung-Kellogg Library. This is a part-time, 29 hours/week position.
II. Responsibilities and Authority
Within the limits of authorized university policies, procedures, programs and budgets, the Circulation Librarian is responsible for and has authority to accomplish the following duties:
• Provides direct public service at the Circulation Desk, including policy explanation, complaint resolution, problem solving, patron registration, fine collection, and the circulation of library materials.
• Performs tasks associated with the ILS (charge/discharge and renew materials, create holds and recalls, change item statuses).
• Must observe and follow library policies and procedures, and is expected to comprehend effect of automation on administration of work unit and on the delivery of library services to the public.
• Processes materials borrowed and lent through MOBIUS, notifying patrons that requested item(s) have arrived and returning items to the lending libraries.
• Process and monitors article requests from MBU students, faculty and staff to obtain research materials from lending institutions through the U.S. and internationally.
• Compiles and analyzes ILL borrowing and lending statistics. Monitors compliance with copyright regulations.
• Assists patrons with questions concerning submission, verification, retrieval, and delivery of interlibrary loan requests and materials.
• Maintains stacks and general physical space of the library.
• Works evenings and weekends as necessary.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
The Circulation Assistant reports to the Director of Library Services. Does not supervise.
IV. Performance Measurement Criteria
The Director of Library Services shall conduct an annual performance review. This review will include an assessment of the performance of all tasks related to the position, an analysis of the Circulation Assistant’s strengths and weaknesses based on a review of the job description and recent performance, and proposed personal and professional development.
• Completion of a bachelor’s degree and related public service experience, or previous library experience with at least one (1) year of automated library system, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
• Commitment to customer service, with a successful track record of working with diverse student populations in a positive manner.
• Ability to interact in a professional and respectful manner with library co-workers, MBU faculty, staff, and students.
• Knowledge of ILS (Sierra) as pertains to the library Circulation procedures.
• Knowledge of library policies and procedures, including automated circulation systems and information technology.
• Ability to quickly learn technical procedures using documentation, training, and customer service support and provide understandable interpretations of procedures and policies.
• Ability to resolve public concerns and difficulties related to the ILS with tact, courtesy, and good judgement.
• Provide excellent customer service to patrons.