- Learn your advisees names, and use them when you talk to them.
- Go over with your advisees what they should expect from you and what you expect from them at an early meeting.
- Engage general conversation and allow students the opportunity to bring up any difficulties they may be experiencing with a particular class or with their given schedule.
- Try not to be too efficient or you may give the impression that you are trying to get rid of the advisee.
- Make notes during your appointment so that you can remember to follow up on particular issues that the student addresses during your appointment.
- Be proactive! Students who do not contact their advisors often are likely those most at risk for leaving the university due to academic, social, financial reasons, or just a general sense of not feeling connected to the school.