Missouri Baptist University (MBU) began in 1957 as an extension of Hannibal-LaGrange College (HLG). Classes were held at Tower Grove Baptist Church near Tower Grove Park. The extension center expanded to the current campus in 1968, and Men’s Basketball, playing as the Trojans, became the only sport.
The institution continued to grow and in the 1960′s was renamed Missouri Baptist College (MBC) with locations in St. Louis and Hannibal. Soon, the decision was made to separate and distinguish the two campuses. The campus in Hannibal became Hannibal LaGrange, while the St. Louis institution remained MBC.
HLG wished to remain the Trojans, but there couldn’t be two Baptist schools with Trojan mascots in the same conference! Unfortunately, MBC had just purchased new men’s basketball uniforms with the existing artwork of a Trojan. At that time, the college wasn’t in the position to spend additional money and resources to revamp the artwork. A few determined students and staff met and discussed potential mascot options to coincide with the Trojan artwork. Thus, the Spartan mascot was created in 1973.